Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

The Dark Ages


It has been an embarrassingly long time since I have blogged, but I have finally decided to that this streak has to end.  I have always been a toe-dipper when it comes to getting into the pool, which is probably why I have been hesitant to just jump back into the blogging world...but here we go.



My hiatus from blogging started back in May when we found out...wait for it...



We are pregnant!! We found out the weekend before Mother's Day.  Perfect timing! So we decided to use the holiday as a way to surprise our families with our {little} secret.  We were in Las Vegas with Michael's parents that weekend and we gave his mom her Grandmother's Day card.  She literally shouted and jumped in the air clicking her heels.

When my mom opened her own Grandmother's Day Card she had quite a different reaction. She was happy, but cried quite a bit.

We were still in Vegas the first time that I realized the effects pregancy was having on my body.  I could smell EVERY nasty cigar and unbathed slot machine pulling armpit.  And the all you can eat buffet didn't stay down more than an hour after I ate it.  But everyone gets sick when they are pregnant right?  Morning sickness...the obvious side effect of a growing fetus.

Except it didn't take long until my morning sickness just turned into sickness. Period.  Sick all day.  I couldn't keep a single thing down and was on bed rest for about 6 weeks total.  I call this period, the dark ages.  My existence consisted of being in bed all day every day in our dark little basement apartment.  My diet consisted of Gatorade, toast and on a good day a bagel.  Poor Michael had a totally inept wife almost all summer {or at least the better part of it}

IV treatments helped boost my system and I was on a consistent cocktail of medications.  But overall, just waiting out the first trimester proved to be the key.  As time goes on I just keep getting better.  I am into the third trimester now {28.5 weeks} and finally feel like I'm at about 90% of where I was pre-pregnancy.  Still taking meds every day, but I'm able to work and have almost all of my energy back.  Plus my photography side business is starting to gain momentum, which is fantastic supplemental income for all the medical bills from the Dark Ages.

Michael is in the middle of his next-to-last semester at BYU.  He graduates in April and I am so proud of him!! Our plan is for him to be Mr. Mom after the baby is born.  Not really what I ever pictured, but we both decided that my job pays really well, has awesome benefits and is only a 5 minute commute...which combined is too good of a thing to give up when you are saving for medical school.  So he gets a 1 year vacation being full time daddy before we move out into the great yonder for his higher education.

Well, for now that about sums things up.  I'll have to do a separate entry about all things baby so this one is not too overwhelmingly long.

No comments:

Post a Comment